Civil Engineering ⇒ Topic : Civil engineering infrastructures required
|The world has realised that a government should not involve itself in production and distribution
but develop infrastructure to create an atmosphere for economical development. Civil Engineering
activities in the infrastructure development are as under:|
1. A good planning of towns and extension areas in the cities is required. Each extension area should be self-sufficient in accommodating offices, educational institutions, markets, hospitals, recreational facility and residential accommodations.
2. Fast rate of urbanization and increase in the cost of land has forced civil engineers to go for vertical growth in cities. In metropolitan cities, 25 storey buildings have become common. Even in small towns multi-storey buildings have become necessity. These requirements have brought in new building technologies and sophisticated analysis methods. Civil Engineers have to solve the problems of rural areas and poor people also. Low cost housing is the need of the day to make poor people afford their own houses.
3. Water is an important need for all living beings. Civil engineers have to exploit various water resources and ensure water supply to urban areas throughout the year. Rural areas need water for agriculture also. Hence civil engineers have to build dams and tanks and bring water to houses through pipes, and to fields through canals and distributories.
4. Another important amenity that public require is good roads. Design of appropriate base course thickness, finishing surfaces, cross drainage, design of horizontal and vertical curves are the duties of civil engineers. Proper design of intersection of roads is necessary. Construction of culverts, bridges and tunnels became part of road works. Railway is an important long distance facility. Construction of railway lines and railway station is an important infrastructure activity. Globalization has resulted in need for building airports and harbours also.
5. Other important infrastructural activities of civil engineering are controlling air pollution, noise pollution and land pollution.
!! OOPS Login [Click here] is required for more results / answer