Civil Engineering ⇒ Topic : Simple bending
A beam or a cantilever is said to be subjected to simple bending when it bends under the action of uniform bending moment action of any load.
Assumptions in theory of simple bending :-
1. Plane of transverse sections of the beam, remain plane even after bending.
2. The material of the beam always obeys Hooke's law and is assumed homogeneous.
3. The beam is initially straight of constant cross-section.
4. The moduli of elasticity for tension and compression are same.
5. The stresses in the beam do not exceed elastic limit.
6. The beam bends to a circular arc.
7. The radius of curvature is large compared to the section dimensions.
8. The loads act perpendicular to the beam axis.
!! OOPS Login [Click here] is required for more results / answer