Civil Engineering ⇒ Topic : Characteristics of Sewage
|Characteristics of Sewage :|
Sewage contains organic and inorganic solids in proportion of about 9 : 11. The inorganic solids are :-
(2) Dissolved salts
(4) Pebbles and debris
The organic solids which are present contain :
(2) Fats and oils
(3) Nitrogenous items
(4) Hydrocarbons1. Color : Fresh sewage is gray in color while decomposed sewage is dark black in color.
Physical Characteristics :-
2. Odor : Fresh sewage gives soapy, oily or earthy odor while decomposed sewage contains foul smell of NH3, H2S etc.
3. Temperature : The temperature of sewage is generally high than normal water, when sewage flows in closed conduits its temperature rises, resulting in increase of bacterial activity.
4. Solids : Sewage generally contains 99-9% water and only 0-1% solids.
5. Turbidity : It depends upon the quantity of solid matter present in the state of suspension.
Chemical Characteristics :-
The sewage contains organic compounds which may be categorised as :
1. Compounds containing nitrogen such as urea proteins, amines and amino acids.
2. Compounds free from nitrogen such as fats, soaps and carbohydrates.
!! OOPS Login [Click here] is required for more results / answer