Civil Engineering ⇒ Topic : Creep of rails
|The longitudinal movement of rails or a
permanent way caused due to speedy movement
of rolling stock is known as creep of rails. The
principal causes of creep are :|
1. At the time of starting of trains, the wheels push the rails backward and during stopping operations, the wheels push the rail forward.
2. Due to movements of the wheel loads on the rails, the rail deflects as continuous beam and thus crests are formed near the supports.
3. As a result of change in temperature unequal expansion and contraction of rails leads to creep.
4. Creep is more on curves than on straight lengths.
5. Creep develops more in the direction of down grade due to gravity.
6. Creep develops more in the direction of loaded trains.
!! OOPS Login [Click here] is required for more results / answer