Civil Engineering ⇒ Topic : Flow net and its characteristics
|Flow net : Graphical presentation of water
flow through the soil voids is called flow net. Its
knowledge helps in knowing quicksand condition,
uplift water pressure and seepage amount etc.|
Fundamental characteristics of a flow net :
1. Flow lines and equipotential lines in a flow net intersect at right angles.
2. All fields formed by equipotential lines and flow lines are approximate squares.3. Same quantity of flow occurs through each flow channel.
4. Same potential drop occurs between any two successive equipotential lines.
5. The smaller the dimension of a field, greater is the hydraulic gradient and also velocity of flow.
6. In homogeneous soils, the shape of curves is either elliptical or parabolic.
!! OOPS Login [Click here] is required for more results / answer