Civil Engineering ⇒ Topic : Types of Roads
|Types of Roads|
1. Earthen roads : The center line and road edges are marked on the ground along the alignment with the help of pegs. Then site is cleared by removing all the vegetables and the surface is brought to the required camber and gradient by depositing or excavating the earth.
2. Gravel road : It is a cheap type of road. Gravels are obtained from river beds and by crushing the stones. The size of gravel varies from 6 mm to 35 mm. This gravel is mixed with sand and clay which acts as a binder.
3. Water bound macadam road : It is used as village road or a base for other important high cost roads. Road metals are bound together with the help of water and smaller pieces of metal are used to fill up the voids.
4. Bituminous road : The layer of bitumen surface dressing is provided to eliminate dust nuisance, to increase life of the road and to make it impervious and smooth.
5. Cement concrete road : On the base course a concrete slab is laid to a thickness of 5 to 8 cm. This type is most expensive but very durable.
!! OOPS Login [Click here] is required for more results / answer